Use the ‘bird’ idioms to complete the sentences.
a) free as a bird
b) a bird’s eye view
c) the early bird catches the worm
d) eat like a bird
e) for the birds
f) a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
g) a little bird told me
h) birds of a feather flock together
i) the bird has flown
j) kill two birds with one stone
1) You don’t have to make so much food for her. She will ………. , as always.
2) How do I know about your surprise party? Well, ………., that’s how.
3) Since she moved into her own apartment she has been as………. .
4) We can make dinner while we are cleaning up in the kitchen tonight, so we’ll………. .
5) Paris is breathtaking from ………. on top of the Eiffel Tower.
6) No use looking for her at the party any longer. I think………. .
7) Maybe that wasn’t the best offer but I took because………. .
8) It’s only 6 am and you’re already working? As they say, ………. .
9) Mary married a guy who’s even more energetic than she is. I’m not surprised,………. .
10) The picnic we planned in the park for today is………. . It’s been raining since morning.
Answers: 1) d, 2) g, 3) a, 4) j, 5) b, 6) i, 7) f, 8) c, 9) h, 10) e
free as a bird – living without any restrictions – libero come un fringuello
a bird’s eye view – from high above – una visuale dall’alto, una panoramica
the early bird catches the worm – if you rise early, you can get more work done and succeed – il mattino ha loro in bocca
eat like a bird – eating small portions –mangiare come un uccellino
for the birds – worthless, undesirable – che non serve, inutile
a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush – better to have what is sure even if less than something uncertain but maybe more in the future –meglio un uovo oggi che una gallina domani
a little bird told me – you don’t want to reveal your source of information – “un uccellino mi ha detto…”
birds of a feather flock together – similar people tend to find each other’s company – chi siassomiglia si piglia
the bird has flown – someone you’re looking for has disappeared or escaped – “l’uccello è volato via”, la persona che cercavi è scappata
kill two birds with one stone – get two things done at the same time – prendere due piccioni con una fava