Queen Elizabeth’s Favourite Cake: Chocolate Biscuit Cake
“This chocolate biscuit cake is Her Royal Majesty the Queen’s favourite afternoon tea cake by far,” chef Darren McGrady, The Royal Chef and former personal chef to Queen Elizabeth II, told TODAY Food. “This cake is probably the only one that is sent into the royal dining room again and again until it has all gone.”
“It is her favourite cake that she eats until it is all gone,” says McCrady. “If there is anything left when she has it at Buckingham Palace, it then goes to Windsor Castle, so she can finish it there. I used to travel on the train from London to Windsor Castle with the biscuit cake in a tin on my knee. It was half eaten.”
There’s another member of the royal family who is a fan of this cake too: “This chocolate biscuit cake was Prince William’s groom’s cake at his wedding. The reason he chose it is that he used to go to tea with the Queen and he got a taste for it. That is when he started liking it.”
The rich dark chocolate cake has a lovely crunchy texture thanks to the addition of classic English cookies called “Rich tea biscuits”. A layer of decadent chocolate frosting is the perfect finishing touch.
Studare e praticare con me, e con i servizi di „5 Minuti d’Inlgese” sono – sin dall’inizio – completamente gratis. Peró, per mantenere una pagina aggiornata, scrivere lezioni, articoli, esercizi, registrare audio ci vuole tanto tempo … e anche soldi.
Siccome, ancora non abbiamo dei prodotti per ricavare guadagno, potete aiutarci voi, a mantener la pagina, a per renderci possibile la creazione dei materiali, lezioni ed audio per la pagina.
OGNI PICCOLO DONO PER NOI É UN AIUTO PREZIOSO
che ovviamente verrà usato per lo sviluppo e per la manutenzione di 5 Minuti d’Inglese.
Mille grazie a voi!
– ½ teaspoon butter, for greasing the pan
– 200gr Rich tea biscuits or sweet cookies
– 100gr unsalted butter, softened
– 100gr granulated sugar
– 100gr dark chocolate
– 1 egg
– 200gr dark chocolate, for coating
– 25gr chocolate, for decoration
1. Lightly grease a 15 cm x 6 cm cake ring with the butter and place on a tray on a sheet of parchment paper.
2. Break each of the biscuits into almond size pieces by hand and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar until the mixture starts to lighten.
4. Melt the 100 gr of the dark chocolate and add to the butter mixture, stirring constantly.
5. Add the egg and beat to combine.
6. Fold in the biscuit pieces until they are all coated with the chocolate mixture.
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake ring. Try to fill all of the gaps on the bottom of the ring because this will be the top when it is un-moulded.
8. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
9. Remove the cake from the refrigerator and let it stand.
10. Meanwhile, melt the 200gr of dark chocolate in a saucepan on the stove top over low heat. Slide the ring off the cake and turn it upside down onto a cake wire.
11. Pour the melted chocolate over the cake and smooth the top and sides using a palette knife.
12. Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature.
13. Carefully run a knife around the bottom of the cake where the chocolate has stuck it to the cake wire and lift it onto a tea plate.
14. Melt the remaining 25gr of chocolate and use to decorate the top of the cake.
Courtesy of Chef Darren McGrady, The Royal Chef.
VUOI PROVARE LA TORTA PREFERITA DELLA REGINA ANCHE TU? COMPRA GLI INGREDIENTI ONLINE!
|by far||di gran lunga|
|it has all gone||tutto finito|
|to get a taste for sth||cominciare ad avere un debole per|
|to grease a pan||oilare la teglia|
|granulated sugar||zucchero semolato|
|for coating||per il rivestimento|
|for decoration||per la decorazione|
|to lightly grease||oliare leggermente|
|cake ring||anello per torte|
|tray||teglia fa forni|
|a sheet of||un foglio di|
|parchment paper||carta da forno|
|to set aside||mettere a parte|
|to combine||unire, mescolare|
|stirring constantly||mescolando continuamente|
|to beat (the eggs)||battere le uova|
|to fold in||incorporare|
|to spoon||prendere con il cucchiaio|
|to un-mould||togliere dalla forma|
|stove top||piano cottura|
|to slide off||scivolare fuori|
|to turn upside down||capovolgere|
|at room temperature||a temperatura dell’ambiente|