Satisfy your sweet tooth (and then some) with these gloriously decadent bakes. makes: 1 roulade
- 70g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 120g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
for the filling:
- cream cheese, softened100g caster sugar
- 1 cupcream, whipped
- 1 cup raspberries, plus extra to decorate
- 1 sugar candy cane, crushed icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a Swiss-roll tin with baking paper. Sift together the flour and cocoa, add the caster sugar and stir to combine. Place the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl, place the bowl over a pot of simmering water (ensure that the bowl is suspended above, not in, the water), beat with an electric beater until the mixture is thick and pale, about 3 minutes, set aside. Place egg whites in a bowl; whisk until firm. Fold egg white into the egg yolks and gently stir in the dry ingredients.
2. Pour mixture into the prepared tray and bake for 10–12 minutes. Remove baking tray and invert onto atea towel, cover with a damp, tea towel. Allow to rest for 5 minutes, remove baking paper and then roll up and allow to cool.
3. For the filling: Place the cream cheese and sugar in a bowl, whisk until combined, gently stir through the cream and fold through the raspberries.
4. Unroll roulade and spread with the filling, roll up again and place on a serving platter, top with extra raspberries, crushed candy cane and dust with icing sugar. Slice and serve.
to have sweet tooth – essere goloso di dolciumi
caster sugar – superfino
cream – panna
whipped – montata
raspberry – lampone
egg yolk – tuorlo d’uovo
heatproof bowl – ciotola termoresistente
simmering – sbollente
to set aside – mettere da parte
to whisk – sbattere
tea towel – strofinaccio
filling – farcitura, imbottitura